September 14, 2009 § Leave a comment
You see all those public service ads telling you what to stock in case of disaster but WHAT if you have a guest pop by unannounced?
I have girlfriends who work near me and am a spontaneous girl therefore I constantly have last-minute guests popping by. This is why it is important to always have a reserve of quick appetizers to offer- because a guest in my house, no matter how unexpected, is always a welcome guest! Here’s a list of some quick-to-serve items that will make you a hot last-minute hostess.
- stuffed olives (in the jar)
- frozen bread sticks and marinara (before you cook the breadsticks, brush with olive oil and salt)
- dipping spices, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar (serve with whatever bread you have on hand)
- mixed nuts
- Lindt chocolates (these play double-duty as cute decor if you store your favorite colors in apothcary jars)
- pepper jelly and rosemary crackers (serve with any cheese you have onhand- even tastes good with string cheese!)
My personal favorite- go for nostalgia and buy a box each of Cap’n Crunch, Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats, and Cocoa Puffs (store in airtight containers to make them last after opening)- serve in a martini glass with milk for a fun ruin-your-dinner appetizer that your friends probably haven’t enjoyed in years!